Ok, I hold my hands up, we weren’t camping on this occasion . . . but we were doing lots of outdoor cooking using local ingredients. Where? The beautiful island of Kephalonia in Greece. And in fact it made me realise just how helpful a little local knowledge can help your self-catering experiences wherever you are. Here we are with a delicious Greek Salad, and to accompany it, some freshly caught sea-bream straight off the barbecue. We had previously stocked up on some Greek essentials: olives, feta cheese, olive oil, vinegar, oregano, paprika, mint, lemons . . . and we were as happy as can be. On other nights we barbecued pork rubbed with oregano, and chicken rubbed with paprika, and enjoyed one with a simple tomato and cucumber salad and the other with a more sophisticated grilled aubergine salad, both served with Orzo (a typical Greek pasta, shaped like rice). We also prepared daily one of our favourite lunch recipes from our Family Camping Cookbook: Watermelon, feta and mint salad, and took it with us in an empty yoghurt pot for picnics on the beach. Refreshing and surprisingly satisfying! And we had plenty of empty yoghurt pots as our daily breakfast had to be freshly picked figs, yohurt and Greek honey. I say no more . . . .
Greek Salad, for 4
1 cucumber, 2 large tomatoes, 1/2 block feta cheese, 1/2 red onion, 20 olives, 2 tbs olive oil, 1 tbs wine vinegar, 1 handful fresh mint or oregano
- Roughly chop the cucumber and tomato and finely slice the onion.
- Combine all the ingredients and serve immediately.
Grilled Fish, for 4
2 large or 4 small sea-bream, or sea-bass (whole, but gutted), salt, pepper & olive oil, lemon, to serve
- Rub the fish with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Barbecue over glowing charcoal for approximately 5 minutes on each side. Check that the fish is cooked by seeing if the flesh can be easily prized away from the bone with a blunt knife.
- Serve immediately with wedges of lemon.
Figs with Yoghurt & Honey, for 4
4-8 figs, 2 cups Greek yoghurt, honey to serve
- Roughly chop the figs and arrange on 4 plates.
- Spoon the yoghurt over the figs.
- With with as much honey as you fancy!
For the watermelon, feta and mint salad, check out our Family Camping Cookbook by clicking on the link on this page!